About the course
This course provides a broad and rigorous introduction to mathematical concepts related to the Machine/Deep Learning (ML/DL). In particular, it will focus on topics from (a) Linear Algebra, (b) Calculus, optimization, and (c) Probability Theory those are having strong linkage with Machine Learning.
At the end of this course participants will have gained the prerequisite mathematical knowledge to continue their journey and take more advanced courses in machine learning. This will be useful to participants from the sectors where it is required to know how to deal with different types of data, explore and analyze that, as well as generate hypotheses and test them using various ML algorithms. It will also be very useful to those participants who want to raise or update their own knowledge of theoretical mathematics only.
Who this course is for
- The course assumes the participant to have mathematical knowledge commonly covered in high school mathematics. For example, it is required to be familiar with simple derivatives and integrals before, geometric vectors in two or three dimensions, etc. . The course is not targeted at a specific group because the knowledge and skills it imparts can be useful in a variety of fields. More specifically
- The course is intended for future engineers, data analysts, scientists, managers and others who would like to understand the basic principles of mathematics underlying statistical and machine learning.
- The course benefits those who wish to update or rise their mathematical knowledge and skills of Linear Algebra, Calculus and Probability Theory, which they can directly apply in order to solve relevant problems in their specific area of interest.
- The course benefits those professionals who are going to apply statistical and mathematical methods and models to real-world problems (banking area, insurance companies, and other financial institutions). Learned theoretical background of multiple fields of mathematics participants would be able to gather, analyze, and interpret data to aid in many business decision-making processes
- The course benefits those who wish to learn the mathematical background which is needed to start basic coding or/and working on building algorithms and networks for the specific machine learning projects.
What you will gain
Besides the benefits outlined above that are specific to your background, you will gain the following:
- A clear understanding of the role of mathematics in machine learning and theoretical basis of multiple fields of mathematics.
- Mathematical foundation necessary to understand and analyze deep neural networks, the most common artificial intelligence algorithm.
- Essential knowledge of Linear Algebra – as throughout the field of Machine Learning, linear algebra notation is used to describe the parameters and structure of different machine learning algorithms.
- Comprehensive knowledge of Probability theory, which will help to make assumptions about the underlying data when it is required to design machine learning or deep learning algorithms.
- An understanding of Multivariate Calculus, which will be used to supplement the learning part of machine learning. It is what is used to learn from examples, update the parameters of different models and improve the performance.
- Engagement with some simple applications of these topics in machine learning and some real- life examples.
Start Date: February 22, 2021
End Date: May 15, 2021
Schedule: Monday & Wednesday, 18:00 – 20:00 & Saturday 12:00 – 14:00
Duration: 72 hours
Fee: 99,000 AMD
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Open Education courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Adults (16+), then New Application, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 1570001024240100, Ameria Bank CJSC, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.