This 30 hour course aims at preparing students for International English Language Testing System (IELTS) Academic exam. The purpose of the course is to provide the students with practical tips and to upskill them with the necessary strategies to succeed in the four parts of the exam (listening, reading, writing and speaking).
At the beginning of the course, the students will be introduced to the question types of the four sections of the exam, their samples and strategies followed by time-management training. Additionally, the students will learn about the assessment methods of the exam. The students will also have an opportunity to work individually, in pairs and in groups in order to meet the learning styles of all the students. At the end of the course, students will have an opportunity to test themselves in a mixed-skill practice and full practice tests.
Who is the Course for (Target Audience)? The course is designed for young adult or adult learners who aim to take IELTS Academic for educational purposes. It is required that the participants of the course have at least Upper-Intermediate level of English language proficiency in order to better perform on all the sections of IELTS test.
By the end of this course, students will be able to:
- Identify and analyze key words in the questions of the reading, listening and writing tasks.
- Employ scanning and skimming skills in the texts during the reading tasks.
- Listen for detail and for gist during the listening tasks.
- Compose essays based on three stages: brainstorm, write and edit.
- Outline, plan and formulate the main components of academic essays: introduction, body, conclusion, thesis statement, topic sentence.
- Summarize and describe statistical data (table, pie chart, line graph, bar chart, process diagram, and map) for the writing task 1.
- Organize persuasive essays (opinion essay, problem/solution essay, advantage/disadvantage essay, discussion essay, and double question essay) for the writing task 2.
- Edit and proofread essays for meaning, grammar and vocabulary.
- Apply active listening and demonstrate fluency while speaking on a range of topics.
- Express opinion, agreement/disagreement and develop convincing arguments and examples orally on a range of topics
Language of Instruction: English
Start Date: February 22, 2021
End Date: March 6, 2021
Schedule: Monday, Wednesday & Friday – 6:30 – 8:30 PM
Duration: 30 hours
Fee: 75,000 AMD
Requirements: You may attend IELTS prep course if you are on Level 6 of the Placement test or you have successfully accomplished Level 5 or 6 of General English courses at AUA Open Education. Placement tests are administered every Wednesday at 10:30 AM. Advance registration is required: im.aua.am
Placement test fee: 2,100 AMD
Enrolment: To enrol in AUA Open Education courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Extension, then Extension Applications, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrolment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 001-006402-001, HSBC Bank Armenia, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.