Advanced Speaking English
About the course:
This course is provided to prepare learners to practice what they learn in General English courses. While General English courses develop all language skills, the main focus of these courses is student-centered speaking. The goal is to provide students with a constructive and safe English-speaking environment where they can express themselves, freely and without inhibition, instilling in them a degree of confidence when communicating outside the classroom in various settings.
What will you gain from this course?
- Characteristics of native-speaker speech, pronunciation, phonetics, intonation, and stress.
- Vocabulary (lexis) and structure range.
- Impromptu speaking skills.
- Self-correction of grammatical and meaning-based errors.
- Verbal delivery skills.
- Collocations, register, and inferred meaning, and grammar in context.
Learners are expected to be able do the following by the end of the course:
- Speak English more naturally, and contribute to group discussions with more clarity, accuracy, politeness, and confidence; with appropriate cohesive features and less repetition.
- Pronounce English sounds more precisely.
- Use more sophisticated expressions, linguistically complex language, multi-word verbs, discourse markers, collocations, and phrases for everyday use with precision.
- Identify their own grammatical and meaning-based errors, and correct themselves.
- Improve the way they transition between points, develop topics fully and appropriately, practice using appropriate language in different situations, and give a clear account of a subject ending with a clear conclusion.
You may attend this course if you are on Level 5 or 6 of the Placement test or you have successfully accomplished Level 5 or 6 of General English courses at AUA Open Education. Placement tests are administered every Wednesday. Test fee is 2,100 AMD. Advance registration is required: im.aua.am.
Start Date: June 16, 2021
End Date: July 19, 2021
Course Duration: 30 Hours
Schedule: 3 times per week, 2 hours per session
Days: Monday, Wednesday & Friday (18:30 – 20:30)
Course Fee: AMD 62,000
Enrollment: To enroll in AUA Open Education courses, please go through the following steps (see below for the Armenian version):
- Visit im.aua.am.
- Create an account by clicking New User Registration.
- If you are not a new user and already have an AUA account (having previously taken the AUA e-Math Test or applied to AUA), you should log into the account that you had created at that time.
- If you just registered as a new user, you will get an email asking to activate your account.
- Now, for registering to take a course, go to the Open Education tab, choose Adults (16+), then New Application, and apply for the course(s) you choose.
- After you register online, your application will be reviewed and you will receive an email acknowledging your application.
- Closer to the course start date, you will receive another email confirming your enrollment, requesting that you make payment before the course start date. The fee can be paid online via credit card or through the EasyPay terminal (located at the entrance to AUA). Alternatively, you may pay the fee via bank transfer to the American University of Armenia Fund, account 1570001024240100, Ameria Bank CJSC, indicating your full name (as in the registration) and the course you are paying for.
- The completed application together with the record of payment completes your enrollment.